Sunday, July 24, 2016 | 11am-2pm
You are invited to 18th Street Arts Center to meet our international artists-in-residence for our Summer Champagne Social!
Discover new contemporary artwork and chat with local and visiting artists from around the globe. Get to know our artists over a glass of champagne or a mimosa!
This summer’s event features artists-in-residence from around the world who will share their work processes with you, with docent-led tours scheduled hourly.
Here are just some of the many highlights:
- Los Angeles-based artist and our Artist Lab Resident Shana Lutker will present Scenes from Chapter Four, the latest in her series of research-based artworks investigating Surrealist fistfights. Come for the champagne, and stay for beer and a reception for the artist from 11-2pm.
- Have a discussion with curator-in-residence William Wells from the Townhouse Gallery in Cairo.
- See new work from New York-based Taiwanese artist Hao Ni in our Atrium Gallery.
- Talk about alternative learning and self-organized arts education with the Alt/Rad Ped collective, and participate in a collective mapping activity.
- 18th Street Arts Center staff will present about our own mapping project, collecting and mapping significant cultural and historical information in the 90404. You can also learn how to get involved!
- Enjoy workshops, talks, and performances throughout the campus, including an exhibition at Highways’ Gallery featuring Christian Larrazabal and Curtis LeMieux’s ATTACK OF THE KILLER FILL IN THE BLANK.
This event is FREE. Please RSVP by reserving a free ticket below.
Consider making a donation so that we can continue supporting artists.
18th Street Arts Center’s residency and exhibition programs advance contemporary art practices by supporting exceptional local, national, and international artists and curators in the development of new work.
Our 2016 Summer Champagne Social food and refreshments are presented by Whole Foods.
Snacks graciously provided by KIND.
FULL LIST OF PARTICIPATING ARTISTS:
Hao Ni (USA and Taiwan)
Miha Štrukelj (Slovenia)
Rosa Lleó (Spain)
Jumatatu Poe (USA)
William Wells (Egypt)
Los Angeles Artists-in-Residence:
Henriëtte Brouwers & John Malpede
Michael W. Barnard
Arts Organizations based at 18th Street Arts Center:
OTIS MFA Public Practice
Continuum Movement Studio
Highways Performance Space and Gallery
Alt/Rad Ped collective (with Rojelio Cabral, Janet Owen Driggs, Nancy Popp, Jess McKinley, Stephanie Sabo, and others)
Shana Lutker | Scenes from Chapter Four (Main Gallery)
Hao Ni| Light Studies (Atrium Gallery)
Parking is limited. Street parking available both on Olympic and on 17th Street, or on 19th street.
Don’t want to deal with parking (or the 405)? The new Metro Expo line is open! Transfer from the red line or hop on the Expo and get off at 17th St/SMC station – only 40 minutes from Downtown to Santa Monica. More information here.